Breadcrumbs

You are here:About SHCC»School History
School History
font size decrease font size increase font size Print
Last modified on 23 September 2016
Sacred Heart Canossian College was founded in 1860 by the Canossian Daughter of Charity. The Canossian Daughters of Charity is a Roman Catholic religious order founded by Marchioness Magdalene, now St. Magdalene of Canossa, from the House of Canossa in Tuscany, Italy.
Soon after the first Canossian Sisters arrived from Italy in 1860, they established a school for girls. This Italian Convent School, with 40 students being taught Chinese, English, and Portuguese, was the beginning of the present Sacred Heart Canossian College. The first headmistress of the school was Sister Emily Aloysia Bowring, daughter of the fourth Governor of Hong Kong, Sir John Bowring. She served from 1860 to 1870.
From Italian Convent School, it changed its name to Sacred Heart School, after the Sacred Heart of Jesus. In 1960, to distinguish it from other schools in the territory bearing the same name, the school took the name of Sacred Heart Canossian College.

school_history_200_01Sacred Heart Canossian College was founded in 1860 by the Canossian Daughters of Charity.  It was the first Roman Catholic secondary school founded by the Canossian Missions in Hong Kong and Macau.

The Canossian Daughters of Charity is a Roman Catholic religious order founded by Marchioness Magdalene, now St Magdalene of Canossa, from the House of Canossa in Tuscany, Italy.

Soon after the first Canossian Sisters arrived from Italy in 1860, theyschool_history_200_02 established a school for girls.  This Italian Convent School, with 40 students being taught Chinese, English and Portuguese, was the beginning of the present Sacred Heart Canossian College.  The first headmistress of the school was Sister Emily Bowring (1860 - 1870), daughter of the fourth Governor of Hong Kong, Sir John Bowring.

From "Italian Convent School', it later changed its name to Sacred Heart School, after the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  In 1960, the school was officially registered as Sacred Heart Canossian College.

 

 

 

 

 


Gallery